Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dissonant Love

I had a strange revelation in my theory class the other day. I was thinking about dissonance and how, by definition, it is two notes that sound unpleasant when played together, but I find that in most music I tend to savor the beauty of dissonance. That's when I realized that our relationship with God is dissonant. God should be nowhere near us. We simply do not belong together. And yet, by His grace, He draws us into this incredible love relationship with Him. He holds us. And it's beautiful. It takes my breath away and sends chills up and down my spine (as all beautiful music does), and the strangest part of it all is that this dissonant love, this love that seems like it simply does not belong, brings Him glory. When God allows a sinner to call Him Abba He is glorified. It's pretty much amazing, isn't it? The dissonant love analogy is really quite deep. For one, we must open ourselves up to dissonance. To understand its beauty we must tune our ears to it, much like the message of the cross is foolishness to those who do not choose to believe. Dissonance also makes connsance so much sweeter, much like we are made perfect in Christ. Dissonance, like imperfection in life's journey, is not to be shunned, but rather embraced. Connsanace is to be longed for. I could go on, but that would take away the fun of allowing God to reveal truths to you specifically. Enjoy!

Dissonant Love

I have tried to understand Your love Lord
How a holy God like You
Could love someone like me
And there is so much beauty
To be found in it
But it seems so wrong
To see Justice juxtaposed
With Mercy
To see Holiness holding
Unrighteousness
To see Perfection pursuing
The imperfect
It makes no sense
This divine dissonance
You and I should not be together
And yet You call me Yours
Forever
And it is music to my ears
Beautiful and lovely
Yet dissonant


Stephanie M. Frakes
(October 31, 2008)

No comments: