Sunday, February 7, 2010

Everyday a New Song

So I was enjoying some much needed quiet time with my Father the other night when I found myself praying an interesting prayer. I longed for God to reveal to me the newness of each day. You see, I often find myself falling into such a routine that I start to live without thinking, and I hate that! I don't like feeling like I'm just caught up in some whirlwind. I don't like living on autopilot.

I guess it's like this. One of the things that I love most about music is a reflection of one of the things I love most about God. Music is never the same twice. Once a note rings out, it's gone. You'll never hear it again. And while that might sound dismal, that's really the beauty of it. Music is constantly new! I mean, sure you practice enough and consistency is sure to follow (at least that's the goal, generally speaking). This consistency can actually border on tiring and monotonous, perhaps playing on autopilot? But if you listen closely, it's actually always new. There are intricate little details, nuances that are slightly different each time. Truly, it's beautiful if you're willing to listen.

And so it is with God. His character never changes, but no experience with Him is the same twice. It may seem routine, but if you're opened to it, and if you really look for it, God is singing new songs everyday. That's why it says in Lamentations that God's mercies are new every morning. And so my prayer is that I would learn to see that. That I would live my life sensitive to His Spirit. That I would stop trudging along, eyes to the ground and take in even the subtle newness of each day. Because life lived in step with the Spirit may be routine, but it is anything but monotonous. Even being caught up in a whirlwind brings it's own kind of adventure.

Here's to new songs!

No comments: