Wednesday, October 8, 2014

31 Days of Trusting Grace - Day 8 - The Wonder of the Morning

I've developed a new habit recently.  It might be a little quirky.  Every night when I go to bed, I set my alarm and then I cover up my clock.  I do it partly because my clock is way too bright, but mostly I do it because I'm one of those people who obsesses over time and how much sleep I get.  Ever since I was little I've always worried about getting enough sleep.  I guess, if I'm honest, I often worry about getting enough, period.

So these last few weeks, I've had this new thought rolling around in my head: His mercy, and everything else, really is new every morning.  Because most nights I go to bed completely spent, but even though my body is exhausted, my mind keeps racing.  Sleep is often hard to come by, and I have spent many a night wondering how I could possibly get up and do all this again tomorrow.  I feel like I can't take another day.

And the the sun comes up.  Dawn breaks, and eyes open, and there is breath in my lungs.  Feet hit the floor.  I step outside and breathe the morning air.  Everything is new.  Yesterday is gone.  It is left in the hands of the Redeemer.  I have rested, and He has made it enough.  His mercy and His grace meet me with the sun, and, sure enough, I can get up and do it all one more time.  Because He is still present.  He is still in the business of providing manna like dew on the grass.  He is still all about taking loaves and fishes, a little bit of oil and flour, and multiplying over and over again.  

So I will lay myself down tonight.  And I will rest.  And tomorrow the alarm will sound.  And my tired and my worn and weak will meet His sufficiency.  And it will be good.  His mercy is new every morning.  Great is His faithfulness.


No comments: